Last Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (9-11June) I did the three Breeding Bird
Survey routes assigned to me.  Doing them on consecutive days probably comes
perilously close to turning one's passion into work, but due to the CFO
Convention and obligations this week, plus the weather forecast, there wasn't
much choice but to do it this way.  As anyone who has done these routes can
attest, finishing one always feels like you cheated the Devil and lived to tell
about it.  Here's what I have to tell.

The Lamar Route runs from Prowers MM/13 junction north to near Chivington Res
in Kiowa County.  Highlights of the 6/9 run with Janeal's help included
Mountain Plovers on 2 stops, relearning the song of Burrowing Owls (which had
me fooled into thinking they might be Scaled Quail for a time), Northern
Bobwhite (one stop), Virginia Rail, 2 for-sure Chihuahuan Raven nests, and lots
of Dickcissels and Lark Buntings.  Total of 35 species.

The Villegreen Route starts west of Kim in ne Las Animas County and runs
basically due north thru the all-but-ghost-town of Villegreen all the way to
Officer Hill then east and north for the last few stops.  Highlights of the
6/10 run were many including amazing numbers of Lark Buntings (20-30 on several
stops), lots of Dickcissels, Long-billed Curlews (at least 5 stops), both
ravens (which I get the impression are a major predator on curlew eggs and/or
young), a heard-only roadrunner, Juniper Titmouse (5 at 2 stops), lots of
Black-headed Grosbeaks sounding like Hepatic Tanagers (which this route has
had), a Mountain Bluebird, and best of all a singing male SCOTT'S ORIOLE (my
first one in CO east of the Divide).  Total of 42 species.  After running my
Ninaview Route the next day, I went back to Officer Hill.  The Scott's Oriole
was still there (but silent) plus four species I did not record on the day of
the official census: White-throated Swift, Canyon Wren, Canyon Towhee, and
Common Poorwill (singing in the middle of the day).  Best non-bird encounter
was a major hatch of a tiny green cicada, Cicadetta kansa, which was abundant
in the grass (a series of 21 are going to the Gillette Collection at CSU).

The Ninaview Route starts at a very difficult to find point (at least in the
dark) 20 miles or so east of Highway 109, runs west to the highway, then north
along the highway to a point not very many miles south of the turnoff to Higbee
Canyon.  This route has had Scott's Oriole and Gray Vireo in the past but not
this year on 6/11.  Highlights did include Long-billed Curlew at several stops,
a male Black-chinned Hummingbird, Dickcissel (1 stop), Curve-billed Thrasher (1
stop), Ash-throated Flycatcher (1 stop) and Chipping Sparrow (2 stops along
Highway 109).  Total of 38 species.

Big rains and hail occurred all over eastern CO on 6/12 and I am sure none of
these three routes would have been doable on 6/13.  Like I said, not
oversleeping, not hitting a deer or cow, finding the starting point, having the
road be entirely negotiable, avoiding excessive wind which negates hearing
birds, not encountering a close-minded landowner, not having car trouble, etc.
- if all the stars align and the route can be completed, well, it feels really
good.  The US Fish & Wildlife Service gets a ton of data from BBS volunteers I
sure hope they appreciate and put to something other than bureaucratic use.
And I gotta say, the CO Coordinator of BBS, Hugh Kingery, deserves a
commendation from somebody in Washington.

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins