The major happening these days at Grandview Cemetery is the nesting of
Broad-tailed Hummingbirds.  As I have proposed before, I think Grandview
constitutes what the literature refers to as this species of hummer nesting in
"colonies".  Two nests are completely done, with one producing the customary
two young, the other just one.  Today I heard the baby that lost its sibling
giving the distinctive warblerlike note they give for about a week after
leaving the nest.  I think this note, which to my knowledge has never been
recorded, functions as a locator beacon for the female that still has the task
of providing some supplemental food.  Today I witnessed the female find the
youngster via its "warbler" note, at which time the youngster flew off its
perch and received a face-to-face feeding while both hovered in mid-air (sort
of like aircraft refueling while still aloft).

There are three active Broad-tailed Hummer nests active at present, all along
the south side of the cemetery.  Two of the females have eggs (one in CO Blue
Spruce, one in Austrian Pine) and one (also in CO Blue Spruce) has two nearly
grown young.

Northern Flickers are using two nest boxes put up by the cemetery as part of
its Audubon Sanctuary plan.  One of the boxes has three ready-to-rock-and-roll
young.  It must be chaotic in that box.  This morning the dominant nestling
(let's call it "Domino") peered out of the hole while standing atop its
siblings.  Every time one of the others tried to share a glimpsing the real
world, Domino would peck it back into its role as a step ladder.  Guess who got
fed every time the parent came in with food?  I am sure the others will rejoice
at Domino's departure.

I found my first-ever Lesser Goldfinch nest high on the north side of a Bur Oak
crown.  The nest seemed to be made of grass, very fine twigs, and
cottonwood/willow fluff.

And, for the first time I know of, Cedar Waxwings are nesting at Grandview in
the southeast corner.  Their nest is in the same spruce as once held the
4-consecutive-years-of-use Broad-tailed Hummingbird nest.  The waxwing nest,
built as both parents flew back and forth together with gathered material, is
about 40 feet up on the outside of the northfacing crown about 2 feet in from
the branch tip.  North of the nest is a big open area of Section 9 where the
birds could do aerial foraging and along the north edge of the open area is a
big berry-laden juniper tree.  The water-filled ditch is a short ways off to
the east.

The Cooley Spruce Galls* are opening at this time.  The winged adelgids they
produce are eaten by many birds including hummingbirds, kinglets, chickadees,
and nuthatches.

An American Robin delivered a large caterpillar to its fledgling that appeared
to be that of the Interrupted Dagger Moth (Acronicta interrupta)*.  I observed
this same combination a few summers ago.  At Grandview the most likely host
tree for this caterpillar is American Elm.

A White-breasted Nuthatch was exploring the curled leaves of American Elm, most
likely getting Woolly Elm Aphids (Eriosoma americanum)*.

Birds that have nested at Grandview in recent years but that are NOT doing so
in 2015 are:  Western Wood-Pewee, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Great Horned Owl
(apparent failure due to filling up with water of the nesting cavity by a
2.5-inch rain event), crossbills, and Chipping Sparrow.  I think a very few
Pine Siskins nested in late spring but apparently they are not ttempting a
second brood.  I would interpret the dearth of "mountain species" as indicating
good conditions in their more traditional nesting areas in the foothills and
lower mountains.

*If anyone is interested in reading more about the insects mentioned, I would
recommend the 322-page, profusely illustrated, Extension Bulletin 506A titled
"Insects and Diseases of Woody Plants in Colorado", primary author Dr. Whitney
Cranshaw, available for the very reasonable price of about $50 from the CSU
Resource Center (www.csuextstore.com/store/pc/home.asp) or any local CSU
Cooperative Extension Office.

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins