From: cobirds <cobirds@googlegroups.com>
To: Digest recipients <cobirds@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thu, Jul 30, 2015 2:31 am
Subject: [cobirds] Digest for cobirds@googlegroups.com - 10 updates in 7 topics

   cobirds@googlegroups.com

 Google Groups

      Topic digest
      View all topics

  Chatfield SP and Ken Caryl Valley 7/28 - 1 Update

  Caspian Terns at Blanca Wetlands - 1 Update

  pipit v. Horned Lark - 2 Updates

  ID help - Larimer Co Rd 5 - 3 Updates

  Hummingbird Workshop with J. Vanderpoel, now SOLD OUT! - 1 Update

  One Spot Opened on J. Vanderpoel's Hummingbird Workshop - 1 Update

  Colorado Rare Bird Alert, 29 July 2015 - 1 Update

              Chatfield SP and Ken Caryl Valley 7/28

  David Suddjian <dsuddj...@gmail.com>: Jul 29 08:20PM -0600

 Water levels in Chatfield Reservoir are more or less back to "normal",
 although there is still lots of extra standing water in upland areas that
 were flooded recently. Other than Killdeer and Spotted Sandpipers, my only
 shorebirds were 2 *Marbled Godwits* and a *Willet* at the Marina Sand Spit.
 A segment of the trail upstream of Kingfisher Bridge on the JeffCo side is
 now walkable. So I did. I was excited to see a *Yellow-billed Cuckoo* fly
 in front of me at mid-canopy height, perching briefly before moving on.
 Also here was an adult *Red-eyed Vireo* feeding a begging juv., and four *Least
 Flycatchers* included 2 begging juvies. An *Eastern Phoebe* was upstream of
 Kingfisher Bridge.

 At Ken Caryl Valley there was an *Ash-throated Flycatcher *north of Massey
 Draw between the Lyons and Dakota formation hogbacks. It was even calling.
 An earlyish *Sage Thrasher* was my first in the area this season.

 David Suddjian
 Littleton, CO

     Back to top
              Caspian Terns at Blanca Wetlands

  <cou...@gojade.org>: Jul 29 07:28PM -0600

 Today while doing some bird surveys, I chanced upon 2 Adult Caspian Terns at
the Blanca Wetlands Wildlife Area (Alamosa County). The area is now open and
the birds were alternately using pond 115 and 107. This is possibly only the
second and third records for the species in the San Luis Valley, with Mlodinow
finding one last year at Smith Reservoir.

 The shorebirds were well represented. Between my wife Lisa and I, we observed
Western, Least, Baird’s, Spotted and Pectoral Sandpipers, Lesser Yellowlegs, BN
Stilts, close to 1500 Wilson Phalaropes, Peregrine Falcons, and one Gray
Flycatcher. So shorebirds are on the move and this is a great increase in
numbers since we last surveyed a few weeks ago. Lots to see.....

 John Rawinski
 Monte Vista, CO

     Back to top
              pipit v. Horned Lark

  Virginia Simmons <simmons19...@hotmail.com>: Jul 29 03:13PM -0600

 In 2014 in open grassland near the floor of the San Luis Valley, below the San
Juan Mtns., I mis-identified a “Sprague’s Pipit.” An experienced birder pointed
out to me that American Pipits were just starting down from high country at
about that time, and I wisely yielded.
 Virginia Simmons

  Joe Roller <jroll...@gmail.com>: Jul 29 03:36PM -0600

 Raise your hand if you ever mis-identified a bird!

 If you think about it, John James Audubon, Roger Tory Peterson and David
 Allen Sibley have their hands raised.

 Joe Roller,
 Denver

 On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Virginia Simmons <simmons19...@hotmail.com>