COBirders,
The last two days while not sitting in a meeting room, a few of us were able to
do some birding down in southeast Colorado.  Today, Mike Kiessig, Mike Henwood,
David Gillilan and myself started at John Martin Reservoir.  Although some of
the white geese have shown up the bulk of the waterfowl have not.  Lots of
times by the time the CBC rolls around (assuming it has not frozen too hard
yet) there will be tens of thousands of birds on the reservoir.  If you take
away the 2000ish white geese form today then we probably had just over a 1000
birds.  The largest numbers were of AMERICAN WHITE PELICANs and DOUBLE-CRESTED
CORMORANTs that I think we gave a conservative estimate of 300 apiece.  We
really could not find anything real noteworthy on the reservoir but we did have
a handful of BONAPARTE'S GULLs and at least one COMMON LOON.  The last was
significant for me because I have birded Bent county a fair bit over the past
13+ years and that was the first I have seen in the county.  Apparently I am
just a slacker.

Next we headed below the dam to work Hasty campground.  It was virtually
birdless in the campground itself for the first 10 or so minutes.  Finally we
found a nice little mixed flock that consisted of DARK-EYED JUNCOs,
RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETs, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERs, WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCHes, a
NORTHERN FLICKER, DOWNY WOODPECKER and a TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE.  Further to the
north there was a calling RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER and a BROWN CREEPER made an
appearance.  Mike Henwood spotted a GREATER ROADRUNNER far off on top of a rock
outcropping soaking in some sun.  Then we came across a couple of EASTERN
BLUEBIRDs.
After the Bluebirds we were headed back to the car as one of the bunch of us
had about 6.5 hours of driving yet to do.  Within about 50 or so yards of the
car we ran back into that original flock.  This time there was an individual
though that we did not see the first time.  There was a rather bright fall
BAY-BREASTED WARBLER.  We were all finally able to get decent looks and at one
point it was almost at eye level and in the open instead of half behind the
leaves or twigs of the Siberian Elms that it was working.  We were able to stay
with it for a few minutes before the flock seem to head back to the center of
the campground.  We did not see the bird with the original flock the first time
and I kind of think it was not with them.  Then it seem to somewhat join them
but I know at least one person looked later and refound the flock but was not
able to refind the Bay-breasted.  Anyhow, if anyone goes to look for the bird
it might be hanging by itself???
We hit a couple of other spots after that in Bent county but did not find much
else of real note, except for two CATTLE EGRETs along JJ near BCR 17 in with
the cattle.  After I had split off from the group I did take a very quick look
at Cheraw on my way home and had a LONG-TAILED DUCK that was visible from the
causeway.  I really did not spend much time there and there may have been
something else noteworthy but I did not have the time to really work it.
I'll make the rest of this short.  Early Saturday morning I ran down to Two
Buttes before the meeting started and was able to find a couple of things of
interest, at least to me.  First stop was the reservoir.  There were decent
numbers of some divers but the most significant things to me were three
RED-BREASTED MERGANSERs and one BONAPARTE'S GULL.  Below the dam the highlights
were a very tardy HAMMOND'S FLYCATCHER, a RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER, two WINTER
WRENs, a HERMIT THRUSH and a GRAY CATBIRD.
It's always fun birding southeast Colorado and even better with great company.
 -----Mark Peterson
Colorado Springs