Hi All,

I just recently concluded my first trip through SE Colorado, and experienced
some of my first birding west of the Mississippi River. I must say, the
landscape and its inhabitants were far more impressive than I had anticipated.

Anyways, personal highlights from Two Buttes included a Black-throated Sparrow
(early?, seen at the parking lot to hike up the buttes. Very tame), and both
'rock' wrens were had below the dam. Having no real experience birding in these
types of areas I was surprised to find Pine Siskin and Eastern Phoebe in decent
numbers. One of the Phoebe showed rather bold white wing bars which was weird
to me, as back east they seem to be muted at best, or buffy on hatch years.
Maybe just a spring trait that has eluded me up to this point...

That evening I camped at The Point campground in the John Martin Reservoir and
was treated to a fantastic sunset along with a Canyon Towhee, Scaled Quail and
two Great Horned Owl. Jupiter made a strong showing, and putting it in the
scope produced some of its various moons!

The next morning, highlights at Chico Basin Ranch included 5 Ladder-backed
Woodpeckers and a female Greater Scaup in the area of the headquarters
building. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to locate any Curve-billed Thrasher.
Farther north I accidentally flushed two Barn Owls which stuck around and
afforded excellent views, although, I am embarrassed for causing them undue
stress. Nevertheless, they seemed to settle back nicely. There were some silly
pheasants around too...

ebird checklists, some w/photos-
Two Buttes, below dam - http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S28788413
Two Buttes, Black-throated Sparrow -
John Martin Reservoir (incidental obs) -
Chico Basin, headquarters area -
Chico Basin, north area - http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S28823762

All the best,

Ben Lagasse