Went up yesterday to see the beautiful Prothonotary. Thanks to the one who
found it and for the continued reports! Beautiful life bird #530.

I then headed ENE and as I drove by Black Hollow saw a lovely Bald Eagle nest
with eaglets. Norma’s Grove on CR100/57 had Starlings, Mourning Doves, Western
Meadowlarks and one Robin. (By the way - didn’t there used to be a cool old
rock building up at the end of that road? With diamond shaped windows? It’s
gone.)

Pawnee Bird Tour starting at 104/57, had one Swainson’s Hawk, 1 Prairie Falcon,
1 American Kestrel, a dozen or so Mccown’s Longspurs, plenty of Western
Meadowlarks and  Horned Lark and maybe one Chestnut-Collared Longspur.

I did a slow loop d loop drive through Crow Valley - no small passerines noted.
Robins, Eurasian Collared Doves and two vans of traveling birders.

Heading South on CR 79 I saw two Great Horned Owls on nests, turning left on CR
74 because of the ROAD CLOSED signs when I tried to turn right yielded a very
nice surprise about a half mile down on the north side - FIVE Long-Billed
Curlews in a farm field.

I stopped at the South Platte River - finding 1 Downy Woodpecker and five Wild
Turkeys.

Lower Lathum and BB Draw wasn’t hopping but birds were hanging out. Cinnamon,
Blue-winged and Green-winged Teals, Gadwalls, Mallards, a Canada Goose. Greater
and Lesser Yellowlegs, a bunch of Wilson’s Snipe, Yellow-headed and Red-winged
Blackbirds. White Pelicans, Northern Harrier, Red-tailed Hawk.

All in all a most enjoyable day!

Connie Kogler
AslansOwn.com