This morning began with two new yard birds -- a male *Black-headed Grosbeak*
(FOS also) and a small flock of *Pine Siskin*. Both took one look at my
empty platform feeder and left. I took these new visitors as a sign that
good things were yet to come and took my dog for a walk at Marjorie Perry
Nature Preserve in Greenwood Village.

On the eastern edge of the preserve, where the High Line Canal bends around
the preserve, we inspected a pewee that yesterday sounded enough like an
Eastern to justify a second look. Today, the pewee sounded just like it
should.

Near the *Western Wood-Pewee *was a very vocal *Northern Parula*.  A
*MacGillivray's
Warbler* and my first *Plumbeous Vireo* of the season were also nearby. (At
least I think it was a Plumbeous. My photos [on my eBird checklist below]
show just a bit of yellowish-green wash, but not enough too make me think
it was a Cassin's. If you think otherwise, let me know.) This edge of the
preserve has been a joy to bird lately. I've seen all of the preserve's
warblers in this area, the pewee, a Dusky Flycatcher, a Lincoln's Sparrow,
and the Red-headed Woopecker that recently visited. Today, a *Virginia Rail*
called
from the reeds nearby while I watched the vireo and parula.

I then stopped by the easternmost lake. I saw a long, heron-shaped bird fly
into a tree over the lake. It appeared streaked and brown as it came
through. Still reeling from the parula, I began thinking things I shouldn't
(bittern, bittern, bittern?). But I found a *Black-crowned Night Heron*
where the bittern should have been. It was an adult, so neither brown nor
streaked. Don't know how I saw it otherwise.

Beneath the Night Heron, however, was a small heron jousting with a trio of
*Common
Grackles*. Unfortunately, the grackles held their territory and the *Green
Heron* flew to the far edge of the lake, eventually disappearing from
sight. When I began birding in 2012 in New Hampshire, this was among the
very first birds I encountered (with help from a more experienced birder).
I've been smitten with it since then, but, until today, I've only seen it
when I've traveled back east to visit family. Another one of those
favorites from back east was the Eastern Phoebe. It's been a treat to get
to see both this spring, so close to home. I expect the third bird that
impressed me during that first, brief month birding in New Hampshire will
soon also show up at Marjorie Perry's east lake. Can't wait to see a Common
Eider diving alongside while a Gadwall paddles by!

When I arrived home, a male *Lazuli Bunting *made a brief appearance in my
yard.

eBird checklist, with photos, from Marjorie Perry:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S29585555.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO