Hi Birders!

We just finished our first official week of banding at Barr.  There was
also some banding the prior week, as our seasonal banders (folks going to
Chico, Nebraska, and Ridgway) were getting oriented.

We've had a good start, banding 50 or more birds in 3 of the first 10 days.
 Not surprisingly, Wilson's Warblers dominate - 234 of the 400 individual
birds caught to date.  There have been 95 other warblers (Yellows,
Orange-crowned, MacGillivray's, Townsend's, Yellowthroats, Northern
Waterthrushes, an Ovenbird and a Redstart), so +80% so far have been
warblers.

Today was one of the 50+ days - we caught 55 new birds in 3 hours, closing
early at 9:30 because of wind and drizzle.  The breakdown matched what
we've been seeing for the days we've been open:

House Wren 6
Orange-crowned Warbler 5
Yellow Warbler 6
American Redstart 1
Wilson's Warbler 36
Song Sparrow 1

We will be open 6 days each week, weather permitting, through October 16.
 We are closed every Monday in September, then October 4 and 12.  We are
opening nets at about 6:30 a.m. and we start closing between 11 a.m. and 12
noon.  We will open later and/or close earlier if it is very hot, very
cold, wet, windy, etc.  There are school groups most weekday mornings,
usually arriving around 9:30.  Best times to visit, if you like lots of
birds and fewer humans, are early mornings during the week and Sundays.

Come visit!

Meredith McBurney
Bander/Biologist
Barr Lake Banding Station