I was hiking in the San Juan Mountains recently and doing photography of
Ptarmigan (Mineral County) when out of nowhere came a Golden Eagle
streaking down upon about 20 or so Ptarmigan, scattering the birds in all
directions. This was only 40 feet in front of me and as the eagle seemed so
focused on the quarry, he completely missed seeing me. It was a chaotic few
seconds as the eagle flapped and maneuvered in front of me and then flew
away without catching any lunch. All I could manage was partial photos of
the rapidly moving, close bird. Anyway, quite the adventure. It was an
immature eagle.

John J Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO