Birders,

I hate to bring this up, but I know I'm not the only person thinking this. Every day, people seem to be edging closer and closer to the Purple Sandpiper at Lake Dillon. I think the welfare of this bird should come before the "money shot" photograph. We should all feel fortunate just to witness this special visitor. We, as birders, are under the scrutiny of a much larger audience, and I want us to surpass expectations for our exemplary behavior. I beg that people stand back, let the bird forage with a little space, and remain here as long as it chooses. If it's flushed, where else can it go?

I know a little about allowing people to observe rare birds from an appropriate distance and for an appropriate duration. I don't know what I can do about the Purple Sandpiper, but I'm thinking I'd better consider the implications of reporting mega rarities in my neck of the woods.

Respectfully,

Duane Nelson

Las Animas, Bent County, CO