COBirders,
I think the secret to seeing the mass of Lapland Longspurs is to be out during
the snow storms.  A few of us have been out in Kit Carson for a couple of
months and finding large flocks on days without bad weather does happen of
course but they are at best just large flocks.  Yesterday I was out almost all
day and checking the known good areas when I could and had almost zero birds
even though it was stormy.  The difference though was that yesterday it was
rain/ice almost all day which seem to ground all the field birds.
Now, fast forward to today.  Today it was 20+ MPH winds and snow most of the
day.  The MASS of birds were back.

Glenn and I got to sit and watch this event for an extended period of time.
The area we watched today was 4 times larger than the one from last week.  I
have posted another video from today that just shows the first layer of birds
and near the 2:45 mark you can see a second layer and maybe the best part of
the video.  The thing that we cannot capture is that this video only shows
about a quarter mile deep worth of birds.  There are multiple layers of birds
that span across a couple of miles.  So just imagine swarms of birds all over
roughly a couple of square miles.  Our estimated numbers from today were as
follows:
575,000 Horned Lark1,250,000 Lapland Longspurs
Here is a the video that shows a small fraction of the total birds.  Again, if
you watch the video but are impatient, jump to roughly the 2:45 mark.  I took
this video while driving almost two miles, it is just a bit shaky ;) but I
don't think it should make anyone sick.
https://youtu.be/WURlpcWPnug
If you are interested in trying to see these birds I would recommend coming
tomorrow if at all possible but do not expect these numbers as it is supposed
to be nice but with the bit of snow on the ground there should still be decent
numbers.  Otherwise, watch the weather for out here and when you see snow, not
rain, in the forecast come out and see what you can see.
The location of the flock today was along Kit Carson county road G roughly
between CR 9 and where CR 7 would be if it were there.  Also, if you come, look
at this field carefully as it is this type of field that the birds tend to like
best.  So you could then drive back west into Lincoln county and probably find
the same thing.
Good birding!
 -----Mark Peterson
Colorado Springs