Hi all,

What a great day of birding in Pueblo this morning.  It was overcast
in the morning.  Van Truan and I first saw a Lazuli Bunting and Brown
Thrasher in his yard in Pueblo.  Then we walked throughout Mineral
Palace Park, and heard a singing YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER in the south
west corner of the park.  The bird seemed to like the trees on the
west side of Court Street and north of 15th Street, across the street
from the Gas Station there.  There is a pine and a couple small trees,
that it seemed to be hanging out in.  Some other birders, David
Chartier, Glenn Walbek and Loch Kilpatrick all got to see it too.  Van
heard the bird yesterday morning, before he went to work, though
didn't see it.  Happy it was still around today!

Then Van and I drove over to Pueblo City Park and then walked, along
the Arkansas River.  We ended up walking west of the Pueblo Nature
Center, when I was looking over some Yellow-rumped Warblers, Van
spotted a SWIFT over head, with the swallows (which included all six
normal species).  I quickly thought, this is exact the same kinda of
thing, when the VAUX'S SWIFT was below Pueblo Reservoir dam, along the
Arkansas River on 28 April 2015 (and was accepted by the C.B.R.C. as
the 1st State Record).  A small swift flying around with swallows,
near the Arkansas River in April, caused me to quickly start
photographing the bird.  The light wasn't good, since it was overcast.
My photos mostly show the shape the bird.  The throat seemed lighter
than the rest of the bird.  We never really got looks at the rump
area, since it was flying higher up.  We'll see if my photos of the
shape of the bird, are diagnostic or not.  We feel like the bird was
shorter winged, with shorter tail, than Chimney Swifts.  One other
highlight, west of the Pueblo Nature Center, was an Ash-throated
Flycatcher.  We never found any other species of warblers, just a lot
of Yellow-rumpeds.

Finally, on the way home, I stopped at Pueblo Reservoir, and found a
nice variety of shorebirds.  Willet, Marbled Godwit, American Avocets,
Western, Semipalmated, Least, and Spotted Sandpipers.

Photos of the Yellow-throated Warbler and the Swift can be seen at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brandonsbirdphotos

The swift photos show the shape of the bird, not really the color too well.

--
Brandon Percival
Pueblo West, CO