After hearing and confirming visually my first Black-headed Grosbeak song
of the season (2) I thought I heard my first Lazuli Bunting song of the
season. Wrong! It was a male Indigo in the top of a tree (typical) in a
grove of trees between the northwest corner of the parking lot and the
highway. Territorial? Are INBU pushing west into LABU country? I saw over
two dozen Painted Buntings in Texas in the second week of May and got to
learn their song. They were in every location I birded between Fort Worth
and Austin. I finally got #599 (Black-capped Vireo) and #600
(Golden-cheeked Warbler) for my ABA list. ☺ I was almost too late (May 8).
If you go, mid- April is better.

Also FOS pair of Plumbeous Vireo at the pullout halfway down the canyon
where one can view the Golden Eagle nest. No sign of the eagles, either
adults or young.

By the way, there was a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak in my yard very
briefly yesterday. Another eastern species that is not so rare here.

Bob Shade
Lakewood