Hey, all.

Jared and David have posted some local observations. Here are mine.

Early, very early, this Saturday morning, Aug. 12, I heard a few *lark
sparrows* migrating over Lafayette, Boulder County. It was hazy with a
north wind. I didn't see any Perseids, and I didn't hear any chipping
sparrows. A cool sighting was a very alert night-roosting *Cooper hawk.*
We're getting on toward "high season" for singing orthopterans, and, whilst
I was listening to the sparrows on nocturnal migration, I heard Carolina
ground crickets, Allard ground crickets, snowy tree crickets, fall field
crickets, and a greater angle-wing katydid.

Yesterday, Friday, Aug. 11, Andrew Floyd and I saw a *loggerhead shrike*
near Prince Lake No. 2, eastern Boulder County.

And even though it's still summer, it's also next spring already for the
courting *great horned owls,* both sexes of which have been vocal the past
couple mornings here in Lafayette.

Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder County