Waldo Canyon is now open 5 years after 20,000 acres burned. It was also the
most financially destructive fire in Colorado history. Naturally I wanted
to see what birds were in there. It was over an hour hike in from the road
so I didn't get to spend too much time birding. The entire canyon looks
like a moon-scape. A few small patches of trees survived the fire, but not
much else. As soon as I crested the ridge I saw a Golden Eagle and it made
my day. I saw twelve total species.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zE3rPOMGkPY/WebAZMShpjI/AAAAAAAACt8/xFk8_zhAWhQbbcJi7mbMzwYBIvrvUQiYgCLcBGAs/s1600/Waldo%2BCanyon%2B2.PNG>

For those wishing to bird in the area it helps if you are comfortable
walking a few kilometers without a trail in mountainous terrain cross
country.

Christopher Brobin

Manitou Springs, El Paso County, Colorado