Dean Shoup and I made a trip today to bird a lot of the mtn lakes.  We
didn't get to nearly as many spots as we hoped. The first couple stops were
quite birdy and we spent a lot of time digging through scads of waterfowl.

Highlights:

Eleven Mile Res -
Oodles of coots with a good variety of waterfowl mixed in
at least 9 Surf Scoters (prob 13)
3, likely 4, White-winged Scoters
one continuing female Long-tailed Duck
450+ Common Goldeneye
4 common loons and a loon sp.
Wood Duck drake was unexpected
18+ Bonaparte's Gulls
one late American Pipit

Spinney Mountain Res -
Many thousands of birds, mostly quite far away, and we didn't much spend
time there, but we spotted 2 Common Loons.  We could have spent several
hours working Spinney.

Antero Res -
Thanks to some intel from Kathy Dunning, we relocated 3 likely Tundra
Swans, and a Pacific Loon, otherwise, lots of expected species, incl
Bonaparte's Gulls, and a lot of wind.

We were way behind schedule at this point, but the birding was great, so we
went to Buena Vista (Chaffee). We were cruising a neighborhood trying to
get to the Ice Ponds and I spotted a Lewis's Woodpecker flying by.  Dean
wanted to find a Lewis's in town and I think he was skeptical, but he threw
me a bone and stopped, and a few seconds later one flew over the car!

Ice Ponds -
Lots of waterfowl, but the highlight (for me) was 40+ Pinyon Jays working
the pines and carrying on.  We watched them for about 15 minutes. I've only
seen them a few times, so I was happy to spend some time with them.  They
are a fun and interesting species.

Scott Somershoe
Littleton, Jefferson Co.