Yesterday afternoon, Nick Komar and I birded several reservoirs south of
Loveland. Carter Lake, Pinewood and Flatiron didn't have much, apart from
good numbers of Common Goldeneye and Herring Gulls in Carter Lake. We did
find an adult Tundra Swan at Dry Creek Reservoir, along with a Northern
Shrike. An adult Bald Eagle put on a show as it tried to catch an American
Coot (unsuccessfully).

The surprise of the day came at Cattail Pond at sunset, where Nick spotted
an anomalous grebe among the masses of ducks. It turned out to be a
leucistic Red-necked Grebe, which neither of us had ever seen before.
Interesting looking bird.

Walter Wehtje
Fort Collins