Cobirders,

This fascinating report came in to the CFO Website today from Ft. Collins, and
I thought you all would be interested.

Hi, I do not know how common it is to see Bushtits in Colorado and in
particular, Fort Collins. I had a small flock come through about 5 weeks ago
and since I did not know exactly who these excited, chattering little birds
were, I headed for my bird books. Today I looked out and saw a tiny bird
trapped within my large tube feed that was almost empty. When I took my ladder
(and more food for refilling the feeder) outside to release this slightly
panicked prisoner, I had a nice close look at it. And, popping around the
nearby juniper and tree lilac was the rest of the flock, creating quite a
flurry of noise and motion. I had no doubt that my feeders and water tray had
attracted another flock of Bushtits. I birded years ago with Kevin Cook (and
others) and am acquainted with Dave Leatherman. While I am not actively out
birding, I treasure unique visitors at my feeders so I thought I would share
this with you. Thank you, Allison S.

Moral of the story-keep an eye on your feeders or you might end up with a pack
of angry bushtits trying to spring an imprisoned relation.

Bill Kaempfer
Boulder