For what it is worth,

I just did a regression analysis of House Sparrow numbers reported on the
Colorado Springs CBC since 1950 to present.  There is no evidence of a
decline in numbers on the CBC.

Diana Beatty
Colorado Springs, CO

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 12:05 PM, Richard Trinkner <
richardinboul...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Some personal House Sparrow data:
>
> Between 1996 and 2015, House Sparrows appear on 30.16% of my Colorado
> checklists.
>
> Between 2015 and 2018, they appear on only 13.44% of my Colorado
> checklists.
>
> They used to be very common bird for my backyard feeders. Between 1996 and
> 2015, House Sparrows were on 58.21% of my backyard checklists. *So far in
> 2018, I haven't had a single House Sparrow*.  Not one.  I've completed 26
> checklists for my yard this year: not a single House Sparrow.
>
> In Boulder, House Sparrows seem to be hanging on in small numbers in very
> urban areas. I walk to work most mornings in central Boulder. I used to
> nearly trip on House Sparrows. I still see them often (72% of my morning
> walk checklists), but now I have to listen carefully for their call and I
> generally only get a small handful of individuals.
>
> On the center-north Boulder CBC route on which I counted last December, we
> only found sparrows in only two locations, whereas in past years they were
> extremely common.
>
> Here's an article about their decline: https://www.
> sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/10/171003111056.htm.
>
> I've also read that they may be particularly susceptible to cell phone
> tower radiation, and that their bug food source may be susceptible to such
> radiation as well.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard Trinkner
> Boulder
>

> On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 11:48 AM, 'Hugh Kingery' via Colorado Birds <
> cobirds@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
>> Denver Audubon just received a call from a woman in Lafayette with a
>> unique subject: where have the House Sparrows gone?
>>
>> She says she used to have as many as 80, but now she sees only a pair or
>> two, sproadically. They check out her yard and continue on somewhere else.
>> Have any of you experienced a diminishing numbers of House Sparrows?
>>

>> Hugh Kingery
>>
>> --
>> gid/cobirds/162ab861dc0-179e-141ed%40webjas-vab073.srv.aolmail.net
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/162ab861dc0-179e-141ed%40webjas-vab073.srv.aolmail.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .
>>

> --
> msgid/cobirds/CAG_%3D4ze9kikJLnDM7G690pdv03y%2BKcPhbyCtZiFTa_WOdfnqug%
> 40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAG_%3D4ze9kikJLnDM7G690pdv03y%2BKcPhbyCtZiFTa_WOdfnqug%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

******

All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the
old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.