Michael Kiessig remarked this morning that days like today are the reason
he volunteers.........We got a late start because of the rain and a
threatening thunderstorm forced a quick close, but from 8 a.m. until noon
things were close to perfect. A constant stream of interesting birds!  We
banded 30 birds of 12 species, plus caught 9 birds banded in earlier years,
including an astounding 8 Yellow Warblers.  The oldest was a male, banded
as an adult in 2012, making him at least 8 years old.  Here's the breakdown
for the day:

Western Wood-pewee 1 (FOS)
Least Flycatcher 1 (FOS)
Plumbeous Vireo 1 (FOS and likely only!)
House Wren 2
Swainson's Thrush 1 (FOS)
Gray Catbird 2 new (FOS) and 1 return, banded last year
Yellow Warbler 5 new, and 8 returns - 1 from 2012, 3 from 13, 2 from 15, 1
from 16, 1 from 17
Spotted Towhee 2
Chipping Sparrow 10 (a nice little flock, in the nets by the river; unusual
for this station)
Song Sparrow 1
Lincoln's Sparrow 3
White-crowned Sparrow, Mountain 1

Come visit! Station is open daily, weather permitting, through the end of
May, except for Memorial Day. We open nets about 6:30 and close around
noon. If you would like to visit on a weekend, you must pre-register - go
to the Audubon Society of Greater Denver website. Perhaps the best time for
birders to visit is early in the morning during the week - fewer people and
more birds! (School groups arrive each day between 10:00 and 10:30.)

Meredith McBurney
Bander
Chatfield Banding Station
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies