Laura,
Thanks so much for getting the word out, I know quite a few people
<https://flic.kr/p/Qao2GU> were able to enjoy the bird this evening. Who
knows, with this mild weather maybe it will stick around for awhile. I've
posted a few photos to flickr, but here's my favorite
<https://flic.kr/p/2bcedBS>, with the Rocky Mountains in the background.

Good birding everyone,
Peter

Peter Burke

5590 Spine Rd. #204 Boulder, CO 80301

(973) 214-0140

Flickr <https://www.flickr.com/gp/pgburke/0scHt9>  LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/peter-burke-a627885>

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 8:51 PM Laura Steadman <lauramstead...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>> black and white body, and that long, long, long tail.  Perhaps the only
>>> austral migrant (breeds south migrates north and sometimes gets to North
>>> America) semi-regularly seen in the US, this is a bird of interest anywhere
>>> north of Mexico.  I think it is even the story bird behind the cover of
>>> John Vanderpoel’s soon to be published recounting of his North American Big
>>> Year in 2011, *Full Chase Mode*.  And chase we did.
>>>

>>> I made it to Prince #2 at about 3:15 p.m., and there were already 8
>>> other birders present.  It took a little while to re-find the bird, but we
>>> slowly starting thinking that the best strategy might be to walk out on the
>>> former County Road 111 in order to be below the dam for best viewing
>>> opportunities..  After Peter Burke saw it flying somewhere off to the north
>>> of Prince #2, we all began walking that way; groups of us, handfuls of us,
>>> dozens of us, scores of us, hundreds of us.  Trying to count how many
>>> birders were there was like trying to count the number of Western Grebes
>>> currently on Union Reservoir, a little bit to the northwest.  There was
>>> Loch Kilpatrick, and there Mark Chavez.  Oh, and Rachel Hopper, and Carl
>>> Bendorf, and Bill Schmoker, and Gwen Moore, and Joey Kellner, and Glenn
>>> Walbeck, and on and on.  Steve Larson and Edie Israel were there, and they
>>> fly out South Africa at 3:00 a.m. Monday morning!  I bet even the
>>> Widowbirds down there won’t be as thrilling.
>>>

>>> This is not the first time modest, little Prince Lake #2 in eastern
>>> Boulder County has made birding news.  Way back on October 26, 1975,
>>> then-Boulder birder Bruce Webb found what I believe to be the first state
>>> record of Sharp-tailed Sandpiper at Prince #2.  This bird elicited the
>>> famous comment from Colorado birding icon, Harold Holt, “It isn’t a
>>> Sharp-tailed Sandpiper until the Colorado Bird Records Committee says it is
>>> a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper”. (fide, Peter Gent).  Hey—another great bird
>>> during the last 10 days of October.  And the year before that, what must
>>> have been the first state record of Baird’s Sparrow on, wait for this,
>>> October 29, 1974.  Prince #2 has also had Red Phalarope, Iceland (Iceland)
>>> Gull, and Eurasian Wigeon, and just over the hill at Prince #1 there is
>>> still a Yellow-billed Loon somewhere at the bottom of the pond, but that’s
>>> a different story.
>>>

>>> Then last week’s wind-focused fallout brought American Golden Plovers to
>>> us, all over the Front Range--but importantly to this story, to Prince #2.
>>> A couple of plovers made themselves easy to see in the soft, nourishing mud
>>> along the south shore of the small agriculture reservoir, and many went to
>>> Prince #2 for their year, state, life, county, or whatever AGPL.  David
>>> Waltman notes that this was the start of our own Patagonia Roadside Rest
>>> stop phenomenon.  Those plovers brought Laura Steadman out at 2:48 this
>>> afternoon.  Well, if the truth be told, I stopped at Prince #2 at 9:55 this
>>> morning.  So, the Fork-tailed Flycatcher must have arrived between 9:55 and