Greetings,

Steve Mlodinow and I ventured to Kiowa County on Saturday, 11/10.  Arriving
to Neenoshe at dawn in still, chilly 20F air, we found the area reservoirs
to be all socked in with fog. Thus, we started by land-birding the south
boat launch/Locust grove area at Neenoshe and found dizzying numbers of
white-crowned and song sparrows in the woodpiles and brush.  Among the
their numbers (400+ WCSPs and 100+ SOSP's) we also discovered a few
Harris's sparrows, white-throated sparrows,  late Lincoln's sparrows and a
late savannah sparrow.  Additionally, we encountered two pairs of a hairy
woodpeckers and flushed a long-eared owl.  A single white-winged scoter was
the best waterbird we observed, while a curve-billed thrasher at the
farmstead near the SE corner was also unexpected.
After Neenoshe, we went to view Neegronda Res.  We set up shop on the east
boat launch and surveyed the calm water. Heat waves were generally
discouraging, though somewhat intermittent.  Eventually we found a pacific
loon in the NE corner, 3 white-winged scoters in the SW, and an Iceland
(Thayer's) gull in the west-center of the lake.   Most surprising here was
a single bushtit that noisily flew into a cottonwood near us, then departed
just as quickly  into the tamarisk along the lakeshore.  According to
ebird, this is a first Kiowa County record, however I believe Mark Peterson
has encountered the species in the county before.
Upper Queens Res. was our next stop and it was quite birdy.  The woods and
lake edge here yielded a similar experience as at Neenoshe earlier.  There
were fantastic numbers of white-crowned and song sparrows to sort through.
We eventually pulled out 8 Harris's sparrows, a white-throated, and swamp
sparrow from the flocks.  In some still leafy Russian olives we found 1,
and possibly 2 male varied thrushes.  One bird flushed and made its way
well behind us quickly.  Shortly thereafter we found the/another male
further ahead that also worked behind us.  When we double-backed to try and
get photos, Steve thought he heard 2 birds calling in different spots
simultaneously.  I wasn't sure how the original bird would've worked ahead
of us in the first place so it felt to me like there were two birds here,
though we could never pin that down. We also had a group of 4 kinglets here
(3 ruby-crowned and 1 golden-crowned).  Walking out to the lake edge we had
a pair of American golden-plovers which were our only shorebird species of
the day.  This represents possibly Colorado's latest record in ebird for
the species.
Driving back north on Highway 287 we stopped to scan a prairie dog town
after spotting a golden eagle perched on a utility pole here.  To our
amazement, we counted not 1, not 2, not 3, but 23! ferruginous hawks
sitting in the dog town and along the fenceline.  At times 6-8 were visible
in one scope view.  In my mind, this was the most amazing observation of
the day and a fitting end as the wind picked up and the sun went down.

David Ely
Broomfield, CO