CoBirds Community,

As a new member to the group, I was surprised to see this thread take a turn
like this on my first day of following CoBirds. It’s one reason I’ve
unsubscribed from state-level Listserves in the past, and I guess this forum
isn’t free from criticism and sarcasm. That’s too bad.

As others have previously noted, Gyrfalcons are listed as sensitive in eBird
due to their rarity and high value in the falconry trade. What most birders
don’t know is that it is illegal to trap Gyrfalcons in Colorado. I am a
falconer, and like the birding community, the falconry community has those who
abide by the laws, and others who feel the rules don’t apply to them. I’ve seen
birders trespass and blatantly ignore private property, and I’ve seen falconers
follow birders’ reports to wild raptors and trap them.

In other Western states I’ve heard of falconers trapping gyrfalcons right in
front of birders. That hasn’t gone well, despite it being legal. It’s not good
form in my opinion.

I believe Andy took the proper precautions in confirming the ID and getting the
word out as fast as he could. In a world where we are connected instantly, some
birds can be reported from the field and others can’t. With a rare bird turning
up at a controlled location like a landfill, there’s more factors to be
considered. I know Andy to be a careful and conscientious birder, and I’m sure
he had a sound thought process with both birders and birds in mind. I’ve been
in the same position and it’s difficult to make. I am grateful he reported it
at all.

Gyrfalcons have been found in Colorado and not reported by the falconers who
found them (to keep birders from finding out and swarming the wintering
location) Birders have found and suppressed sightings because of falconers. It
goes both ways, and in this case the sighting was shared with the birding
community.

It’s not the first and won’t be the last Gyrfalcon in the state.

In kindness,

Christian Hagenlocher
Buena Vista, CO

Sent from my iPhone