I do think it is worth asking who uses the COBIRDS RBA report and getting
some data before deciding to continue the extensive effort or not, unless
someone just realyl enjoys doing it.  Is there anyone out there who uses it
fairly regularly?  What tools are people using to learn of 'rare' birds?

Personally, I have not used it much if at all.  I have sometimes learned of
great birds in general COBIRDS posts but the RBA is a tool I haven't really
used much. I did use it a few times to try to find out if a bird had been
reported recently several days after the initial report when I didn't see
something in eBird, since I know not everyone uses eBird.  I get rare bird
alerts for certain counties from eBird and they are more specific and
timely than the RBA for me personally, but I do rarely chase so my
experience may be atypical.  I also learn of some birds on the CFO Facebook
page.  I do wonder if there is some concern at least along the Front Range
about loving rare birds to death - i.e. publicizing a sighting very openly
possibly being harmful to the bird in question or to the reputation of
birders, etc.,, in part because there may simply be too many people
interested in seeing it, some of whom may be more 'rambunctious' in their
quests than others.  I do not know that the RBA would be considered a
contributor to those concerns, if people have them, though.  I appreciate
the willingness of people to share and compile exciting sightings even if I
do not go to see them because I do enjoy hearing about what of note is
going on re: birds in Colorado.

Diana Beatty
El Paso County

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 4:23 AM 'Allison Hilf' via Colorado Birds <
cobirds@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> I totally understand the sensitivity of a Gyrfalcon sighting, and consider
> it like an owl.  I agree with Andy and others that it should not be
> publicly shared.  I wish it would never have been reported and this
> discussion never happened.
>
> My comment was meant to be about the more general issue where most of the
> more experienced  CObirders no longer report  any rare bird sightings to
> CObirds or to the RBA.
>
> I was ready to commit a considerable amount of time and effort into
> helping Joe and others keep the RBA going after Joyce retires at the end of
> the year.  I’m now having serious doubts, as so few experienced Birders
> take the time to report ANY rare findings to CObirds.
>
> I don’t list and no longer chase anything but a lifer (Gyrfalcon is NOT a
> lifer; I had no interest in chasing the bird).   I help beginning Birders
> and spend my time analyzing bird behaviors - we all bird differently.
>
> I apologize if I came across critical of competitive listers; we can all
> agree to enjoy birding differently.  But do listers want to share
> sightings?  If so, is COBirds the place to do it, and are people willing to
> report sightings to CObirds?  Otherwise, why should we spend considerable
> time and effort on compiling an RBA???
>
> Please respond; as I need to know if anyone sincerely wants the RBA to
> continue.
>
> Thank you,
> Allison Hilf
> Aurora, CO
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Dec 5, 2018, at 8:19 PM, Andrew Bankert <abankert2...@my.fit.edu>
> wrote:
>
> Let me start off by saying that the Gyrfalcon was not refound anywhere
> this morning that I am aware of with people looking along Trilby Road and
> at the landfill.
>
> After thinking about it, I do not regret the 15 hour delay between
> identifying and posting the Gyrfalcon to CObirds.  I try to get the word
> about rarities out as quickly as possible, but this Gyrfalcon was a special
> case with both being a charismatic species drawing attention from a wider
> number of people than your average rarity and being found in a restricted
> area where we could easily lose access if there were any incidents
> involving birders not following protocols at the landfill.  As birders, I
> understand how exciting it is to chase a rare bird and add a new tick to a
> list, but I do wonder whether during our pursuits we forget about
> considering the impacts we might have on the birds we chase and the areas
> we visit.
>
> Considering these impacts, including consulting with other birders, is
> what happened during that 15 hour delay.  Just last week while watching the
> Grandview Cemetery Eastern Screech-Owl from a safe distance across the
> canal, a group of us witnessed two, probably well intentioned, birders walk
> right up to the tree the owl was roosting in while searching for it without
> [...]

******

All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the
old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.