COBirders--  The current discussion of ways and means of communicating
information to Colorado birders has been interesting, stimulating and
constructive for all, I hope.  Writing as one of the CFO officers when
COBirds was first developed (i.e. in the Dark Ages), I remember we conceived
of this listserve as a platform that could build a state-wide community of
people interested in the lives and welfare of birds.  We hoped that
community would include anyone from professional ornithologists to people of
any age or level of birding knowledge, who are simply attracted to the avian
world.  We hoped it would be a place where competitive listers, bird
conservationists, informal birdwatchers and the intellectually curious could
find a way to share, not just data, but a sense of comradery.  I believe
that goal has been met, for the most part.  I very much enjoy reading posts
that cover a broad spectrum of how birds live in Nature and their interface
with us humans.  Many COBirders probably derive joy at sighting a lifer or
rarity,  while at the same time they eagerly read about sapsuckers' diet,
the status of Lark Bunting populations, where John Rawinski went in the San
Luis Valley yesterday, who was shown a neat bird by Brandon Percival, or
what fascinating bit of Nature was described by Dave Leatherman.  So, I hope
COBirds will continue to be the broad platform for the birding community.

Leon Bright

Pueblo