Hi all:
Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch is represented in Colorado by two subspecies groups.
eBird's nomenclature for the two groups is:
Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (Gray-crowned)
and
Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (Hepburn's).
The second of these two subspecies groups is of birds with nearly entirely gray
heads, while the first is of birds with brown "cheeks."  I am currently trying
to analyze the ratios of these two subspecies groups in the state, but I am
hampered by the inconsistency of eBird reporting of the two groups.  So, I
write this note to request that if you report any birds using the
subspecies-level entry for Hepburn's, please don't report any other
Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches using the species-level entry, unless you understand
what you're reporting.
As example, if you see 48 Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches and determine that 12 of
them are Hepburn's subspecies group and 36 are referable to the "Gray-crowned"
subspecies group, please report these birds as follows:
12 Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (Hepburn's)36 Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (Gray-crowned)
Do not report as follows:
36 Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch12 Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (Hepburn's).
That is because in the second option, you are saying that you are positive that
the 36 birds belong to the SPECIES Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch, but that you are
unsure as to which SUBSPECIES GROUP they belong.  I cannot determine
subspecies-group ratios from data reported as such, because I have to assume
that the subspecies group was undetermined in the second example, even though
the observer (in this hypothetical case) knew that they belong to the
"Gray-crowned" subspecies group.  I am having to throw away an awful lot of
data due to this inconsistency.
Thanks,
Tony
Tony LeukeringWiley, CO