Birders,

I flushed a Nighthawk this morning at Van's Grove. I was able to take pictures of the bird once it roosted, and identified it as a male Lesser Nighthawk.

I ran into many birders at Lake Hasty this afternoon, and showed the photos to Glenn Walbek, Brandon Percival and others, and they agreed with my ID. We went as a group back to Van's Grove, and, with some effort, finally re-found the bird. We saw it as recently as 3 p.m. Others got diagnostic flight photos, which I'm sure will make it to ebird.

The bird likes to perch high, but is very restless, and flies laps around the grove.

Good luck to those chasing it.

Duane Nelson

Las Animas, Bent County, CO