Chico Basin Ranch was very active yesterday, at the banding station in El
Paso Co our group saw a Black & White Warbler, Black-throated Gray Warbler,
Orange-crowned, Yellow, Wilson's, Yellow-breasted Chat. Large numbers of
Yellow-rumped Warblers, Audubon's being the larger percentage and females
of both sub-species were more numerous than in the past couple weeks.
Plumbeous Vireo, Ringed-necked Pheasant, Ladder-backed Woodpecker, Eastern
Kingbird, Ash-throated Flycatcher, Gray Flycatcher and several
headache-inducing Empids rounded out the morning. At Bell Grove was our
first of the year Western Tanager.

On the way to Headquarters we heard and then saw Cassin's Sparrows (E from
the banding station, turn right  on the main road, between first and second
cattle guards where the straw-colored grass thickens between the cholla)
and Lark Buntings.

The Headquarters Willows in Pueblo Co were dizzying with Yellow-rumped and
Orange-crowned Warblers, Townsend's Warbler, A vivid-colored Palm Warbler
(seemed to have more yellow on the face, similar to Eastern but not as
bright) foraging on the ground, Yellow, Wilsons, Common Yellowthroat,
Virginia Rail, Sora, Brewer's and Yellow-headed Blackbirds, Great-tailed
Grackle, Bewick's Wren, Clay-colored Sparrow, Bullock's Oriole, Dark-eyed
Junco / Pink-sided which seemed late, Gray Catbird, Curve-billed Thrasher,
Green-tailed, Canyon, and Spotted Towhees. One in our group saw what might
have been female Hooded Warbler at the smaller pond but we couldn't verify
or re-find it. HQ Pond and Rose Pond had some Long-billed Dowitchers,
Semipalmated, Least, Solitary and Spotted Sandpipers, Semipalmated Plover,
both Yellowlegs, and Wilson's Phalaropes. We saw a Forster's Tern at each
pond.

After my three companions exited I circled back to the banding station and
found two Cordilleran Flycatchers, the only Empids I could ID until I
review photos, and a fairly high-up Virginia's Warbler. A very birdy day.

Dan Stringer
Larkspur, CO