As the second week of the fall season gets underway at Chico, we had our
busiest day of the season so far, but still relatively modest by our
standards. It was also the coolest (and dampest) start to the morning yet,
and like last week, we caught more birds as the temperatures rose. The
majority of captures came in the last couple hours of the day.

For the first time, Wilson's Warblers were not the most abundant species at
our banding station. Instead, it was a busier day for Orange-crowned
Warblers and Lincoln's Sparrows. We also had a female 'Northern' oriole
that made for an interesting identification challenge. Overall, we banded
32 birds and had 1 recapture, of 11 total species:

Hammond's Flycatcher 1 (FOS)
Wilson's Warbler 4
Western Wood-Pewee 1
Cordilleran/Pacific-slope ("Western") Flycatcher 1
MacGillivray's Warbler 1
Orange-crowned Warbler 12 (11 new, 1 recapture from last week)
Lincoln's Sparrow 8
Swainson's Thrush 1
Bullock's/Baltimore Oriole 1 (possible hybrid)
Northern Mockingbird 1
Gray Catbird 1

We are open 6 days a week, closed on Sundays. We'll be opening nets
tomorrow at 6:30 AM and closing them at 11:30 AM, weather permitting; for
the remainder of the week we'll be operating from 6:40 - 11:40 AM. Visitors
are welcome!

Robert Snowden
Bander, Chico Basin Ranch
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies