A good way to see a mix of raptors in mountain counties is to hike along ridges
in September.  Sometimes you even see a bonus bird.

Today, Brenda and I hiked in the James Peak area of SW Gilpin County.  A
Swainson’s Hawk flew by, east of James Peak.

As we were driving along Forest Service Road 353.1, NE of Kingston Peak in
northern Clear Creek County, a Prairie Falcon flew by, just above the tree tops.

Finally, along Elk Park Road (4N) in Clear Creek County, about half a mile from
the Gilpin County line, we found an immature Red-headed Woodpecker at 10,500’.
It landed repeatedly on the wooden fence on both sides of the road.

Roger Linfield
Boulder