Bob,
Great find and glad you reached out. Colorado Field Ornithologists (CFO) is
also home to the Colorado Rare Birds Committee (CBRC). You can find a link
to the CBRC website from the CFO site cowbirds.org, or you can go directly
to cobrc.org.

The CBRC site includes a list of species that should be formally documented
by county, so you can quickly check if Northern Saw-Whet Owl sightings for
your area meet this threshold.

For anyone birding in Colorado, it is a good idea to familiarize oneself
with what is considered rare for your home county, and if you do find a
rare bird, please take the time to document your find!

Happy New Year and good birding,

Peter Burke
Niwot, CO

--