The cautionary notes about variation among gulls at Warren Lake and the
difficulty of ID'ing every one have been great!
Thanks for all of them! Let's have more.

Upon reflection could it be that a big part of the problem (my problem too)
is "how we learned to ID birds" when we were first bit
by the birding bug and the pitfalls of that method.

As beginners, we'd see a bird and "match" it to a drawing or photo in a
field guide. Every bird seemed to be a perfect match for an image in a
guide. We still do that! That led us to believe that every bird we saw had
an exact  counterpart in a guide.

As a carry-over from that style, we often still try to ID each bird by
finding a match or at least "the closest" match possible. *Many* birds do
have a match, so we are seduced into believing that *every* individual is
represented in the field guides we scrutinize. As we get more
experienced and learn from others to be cautious, we take second looks and
notice that even common
birds like Robins show great variation, NOT depicted by any guide. We begin
to use question marks
and add to our "BVD" lists (Better View Desired) or "more photos needed" or
"Possibly this species"
and we use "Gull sp" more often.
And that's how we learn - going through the birds, studying each part of
each one, ideally with a more experienced birder at our side. There's so
much to learn! Especially about gulls. At first they all seem to be "Larus
vulgaris", then we learn to sort some of them out. Very satisfying. Like
long ago when we learned to tell Greater from Lesser Yellowlegs.
The best advice from several birders on COBirds has been "go up there and
look at them" and I agree. Warren Lake is
an unheated classroom.

Joe Roller, Denver