Okay there is enough interest to continue.  Based on the requests, I have
created two games that will run concurrently from this Sunday April 26
through May 30.  One game is Colorado only, the other is ABA region.  You
can join one or both as interests you.

COLORADO FIELD ORNITHOLOGISTS FANTASY BIRDING GAME #2 (Colorado) and #3
(ABA) - SIGN UP TODAY FOR FREE at http://fantasybirding.com
<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Ffantasybirding.com%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR1pr7HATkx9uvQLiQ_eYSxhvAcGHvdN-elP3v18c3OHTZt6sGV8lxb024I&h=AT0g-rYK1jmoD2cWGFsxLJ0shTfp2Ib9yseuVcR8gbLH2N3MF-X6d15uIRnIsrvnsrwKk_IzAj2Zr53nGYW7w7Hd9_QQZ-y0RJskYeGxDjdYWH_1bFFn7a3ThiIlyGxfAONqhkNl0U22ktaKD2u9kO9x>
CFO is offering this game as an opportunity to 'see' birds around the state
while we are under stay-at-home orders with limited ability to enjoy birds
in other parts of the state. If this game is successful, we will have more
rounds.
Create your free account, got to the Join tab, and scroll until you
find COLORADO
FIELD ORNITHOLOGISTS GAME #2 and/or #3. Join the game(s). Choose your
starting location for April 26 as prompted. The easiest way to pick your
birding location each day of the game is to go into the My Games tab, open
the game, go to Calendar, choose the date you're picking a location for,
and either type in a location name or use the 'Show Notables' or other
tools on the right to choose a location. You can change your mind up until
6 a.m. of the indicated date.
See the FAQ below if you have questions, otherwise see you at the game(s)!

How does this work?
Welcome! You've decided to take on one of the biggest challenges in
birding: observing as many species as possible within a designated area and
a designated period of time. This game will run from the stroke of midnight
on 2020-04-11 to the last minute of 2020-04-25. It will cover the land area
of Colorado. The player listing the most species within this area will win.
(Sorry, no cash prizes, just for fun.)
Each player may choose one location per day, within the designated area, in
which to bird. Each location must be chosen before 6:00 AM (local time) of
the day you plan to bird there. The location may be a named hotspot, or it
may be any other point within the designated area (chosen by clicking on
the map). If no location is specified for a given day, the player will
continue birding at his/her current (previous date) location. Locations can
be chosen any number of days in advance.
Each player will automatically get credit for all sightings within a
10-kilometer radius of the specified location, as long as they are made
within the corresponding 24-hour period and reported to eBird within 48
hours. (Thus, birds seen at your Wednesday location may not show up on your
list until Friday.)
Sightings marked by eBird as “provisional” (typically species seen
unusually far from their normal seasonal distribution) will be recorded
separately. These will be checked retroactively by the game, and will be
moved to your main list if they pass eBird review. See below for more info
on how provisional sightings are handled at the end of a game.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

   - Can locations be changed once they have been set?Yes. However, if
   either the local time at the desired new location or the local time at
   the already chosen location are later than 6:00 AM on the day you plan to
   bird there, you will not be allowed to make the change. This is to prevent
   players from taking advantage of time-zone differences.
   - What species are considered "countable"?The list of birds that count
   toward your year list essentially corresponds to the American Birding
   Association's latest Checklist, which can be found here

<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Flisting.aba.org%2Faba-checklist%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR06DXOWKGCkqgTKeV7zldrS60V58vbcFHfSas1lVtsv7d24TXqRUbywTC0&h=AT0QSCBWdDONOK9NGYBnwK2FQ-YNSP_Q16EK-YC734ZJzvA_hAHsMYlYbSx0pwvaMITGkDQgljB4_vLsdqADuHe_L5Yzl8uegCBZqq2T8x0b_b_RRdUJhzKXQv3rQkZ6qbto36PGJZmf2DZRvMfV_m5a>
   (and currently contains 1,112 species). There are three important
   exceptions or caveats to this.Exotic species: Some introduced birds,
   like House Sparrow, are well-established just about everywhere and are
   always considered countable. Others, like Egyptian Goose, have established
   self-sustaining wild populations in certain parts of the country. Though
   they are often encountered in other areas, birds there are better
   considered as domestics or escapees. These species will be automatically
   added to your list regardless of where you observe them, but your list may
   later be revised to exclude them. Still other birds, like White-cheeked
   Pintail, have occurred naturally as wild vagrants in the ABA Area but are
   also found in exotic collections. The listing process for these is the
   same, but be advised that you will need to use some discretion (and/or do
   some outside research) when deciding whether to chase a reported
bird.Sensitive
   species: There are certain birds whose data eBird does not publicly
   disclose. These are populations that are highly rare and vulnerable, or
   that have been adversely affected by hunting, collecting, or other
   practices. As these species aren't available through the game in the
   conventional way, they will be awarded to each player immediately upon
   joining. At the moment, for example, the list for the ABA Area includes
   nine species categorically: Gyrfalcon, Spotted Owl, Northern Hawk-Owl,
   Great Gray Owl, Lesser Prairie-Chicken, Gunnison Sage-Grouse, Black Rail,
   Puaiohi, and Hawaiian Crow. It also includes local populations of other
   species, such as the reintroduced Whooping Cranes in Wisconsin, although
   these species can be seen and counted elsewhere. Review the list here

<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fhelp.ebird.org%2Fcustomer%2Fen%2Fportal%2Farticles%2F2879207-sensitive-species-list%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR3cCp-gauviYfFHfV8aJHTTGuisv18Ncp2zhtDqof8mfq3EFbaBhrfPJco&h=AT3YeQGtFxIBJj9rvAbMxU3ljC1si7zcnI0IV_ncRPt7fyHVvQM8J_39hfGxmqUzsn16I18DOBMx0R_txa1g5jgplgc2uHuIGFH0NOFMteA7yF_j8ZZsS_janKhUXhosO7D35ptREJi1OkRxWluEFgWl>
   and take this into consideration when planning your trips.
   - If a bird isn't reported within 48 hours, is it gone forever?The
   48-hour mark is the cutoff beyond which the game will no longer
   automatically check for birds on your behalf. However, you have two tools
   you can use to check past locations for late-reported birds. For each past
   date on your calendar, you will see a Check Hotspots button -- this will
   fetch all checklists submitted from hotspots within your circle on that
   date, and add any new birds found to your list. Alternatively, if you know
   of a particular eBird checklist (from a hotspot or a personal location) for
   which you haven't gotten credit, you can put that checklist's ID into the
   text box on the corresponding calendar date and submit it for
   consideration. (The checklist ID will be an "S" followed by a sequence of
   numbers, and is clearly displayed on the eBird page for that list.)
   - What happens to birds that are still under review when the game ends?eBird
   reviewers have a lot on their plate, and many observations - some valid,
   some invalid - inevitably remain provisional at the end of the game. To
   help ensure that you aren't unfairly denied any of these, the game will run
   an automatic process at the end of the game for assessing lingering
   provisional observations. The rule used is this: if any observation of
   species X has been confirmed this time period in the same county as your
   observation of species X, then your observation will be confirmed. The
   process may be run more than once, to avoid any last-minute
   scoreboard-shuffling surprises.

Diana Beatty
CFO Board

--