All,

Below is the response I received from CPW regarding the new SWA
hunting/fishing license requirement. I guess the only "good" thing to be
gleaned from the response is that they no longer require the extra $47
annual fee for access to Jumbo Reservoir SWA, Lake Deweese SWA, Prewitt
Reservoir SWA, and San Luis Lakes SWA, but you will need the fishing
license instead that covers all SWA's and STL's.

I will respond back to Bradley asking about the process to get a bill to
the legislature for a Birding Stamp/License.

Thanks,

Adrian Lakin, Mead, CO

Reply from CPW and my original question to them...

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Colorado Parks and Wildlife. I understand you are
inquiring about birding on state lands.

Your Colorado State Parks pass is valid for Colorado State Park which offer
great birding opportunities. However,
the Parks and Wildlife Commission approved a regulation change to protect
the integrity of these properties for their intended use—the perpetuation
and conservation of wildlife and wildlife recreation—regulation #900.C.1
has been added to require all persons 18 years of age or older hold a valid
hunting or fishing license to access any SWA. Similarly, regulation
#902.B.5 was added prohibiting access to STLs leased by the Division to all
persons 18 years of age and older who do not hold a valid hunting or
fishing license. *Additionally, property-specific regulations were modified
accordingly, including** removing the annual access permit requirement for
Jumbo Reservoir SWA (901.B.119(a)), Lake Deweese SWA (901.B.130(a)),
Prewitt Reservoir SWA (901.B.173(a)), and San Luis Lakes SWA
(901.B.203(a)).* State wildlife properties can be found in our 2019
Recreation Lands brochure
<https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Brochure/lands.pdf>. This new
regulation will start July 1, 2020.

We currently have an SWA permit for specific properties that already
require a hunting or fishing license. However, with the new regulations for
wildlife properties, we will no longer be offering an SWA permit for
wildlife properties and a hunting or fishing license will be required to
access all state wildlife areas and state trust lands. The SWA permit was
not recognized under the Federal-Aid Program as a valid hunting or fishing
license.  The current SWA Access Permit system, used on only four SWAs,
negatively impacted the CPW wildlife finances.  The monies generated from
this access permit fund lessens the following year’s Federal Aid monies
used by CPW by the amount the access permit fund accumulated.

In order to create a new birding stamp or license, CPW would need to submit
a bill to the legislator to amend that state statute regarding valid
licenses.

Respectfully,

*--*

*Bradley Gabrielski*

*Communication Center Wildlife Coordinator*

Hunt Plan: 303.291.7526|Main: 303.297.1192|Fax: 303.866.5070

1313 Sherman St., 6th Fl, Denver, CO 80203

bradley.gabriel...@state.co.us I www.cpw.state.co.us

**Please view the COVID-19
<https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/COVID-19-Response.aspx?utm_source=CPW-Web&utm_medium=Slider1&utm_campaign=2020_COVID-19_Coronavirus_Info>*web-page

<https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/COVID-19-Response.aspx?utm_source=CPW-Web&utm_medium=Slider1&utm_campaign=2020_COVID-19_Coronavirus_Info>*
 for
the most recent updates**

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 3:18 PM cpwinfo, DNR_wildlife <