I found another singing Mexican Whip-poor-will while camping on an
access-limited property south of Trinidad last night (read: no access, not
chase-able). This was exactly 24 hrs after listening to the singing bird along
Oak Creek Grade in Fremont County. I was settling into my sleeping bag when the
thing started singing next to my car. I am still in the wilds so it will be a
few days until my sound recordings are uploaded to eBird. One track includes a
singing Saw-whet that was only a few meters away from me, almost duetting with
the Whip. Pretty amazing.

Is this a trend unique to this year (drought causing dispersal?), or are they
always here in low densities? This one, like the Fremont Co. bird, sang from
about 8:20-8:45, then went quiet. The habitat “looked” perfect, so I have to
wonder if they are regular in the oak woodlands throughout the southern
counties. I’m setting up camp in another spot tonight hoping for round three!

Christian Nunes
Boulder