I'll just add a couple notes on these "early" shorebirds.  They are right
on time, like others have noted.  The summer solstice is when southbound
birds start arriving (yup, June 21 or so). There are always a few birds
where you're not sure if they are going south or just didn't go to the
arctic or what their direction/status is.  Anyway, as a crazy example, I
helped with the Georgia Breeding Bird Atlas in summer 2000 and had a
Greater Yellowlegs on Cumberland Island about 24 June (can't find exact
date at the moment, but it was just after the 22nd, which I
distinctly remember for a couple reasons).

Willets, Marbled Godwits, and other prairie breeders discussed in this
thread definitely fail and bail (as I say), much like arctic breeders.
When I run my BBS routes in the prairies of north central Montana usually
between 7-13 June, I'll see groups of 60+ Marbled Godwits.  They likely all
had failed nests or didn't nest. I've still never seen a godwit chick,
which is concerning since I see young of everything else when I'm
stomping around the prairie for a week or more.  I'm sure I've been near
some as if you're anywhere near a nest or young, they circle and attack you
constantly, sometimes following you for over a mile. This does provide some
great photo opps though!

In the case of Long-billed Curlews, several satellite tagged females from
Idaho have been on their winter sites in southern Calif for nearly 3
weeks!  A couple eastern WY breeders passed through CO already and are in
far south Texas and in northern Mexico just south of Brownsville, TX.
Another WY breeder is down in the southern end of the Chihuahuan desert in
central Mexico!

LB Curlew females bolt and leave the males with parental duty! Adult
females get into little groups and head out together. However males arrive
back on breeding grounds first.

I've probably shared this page before, here's info on tagged curlews.  This
is a great organization and partnership. IBO has done a fantastic job on
curlew work and outreach in Idaho where they had a lot of tagged curlews
shot.
https://www.curlewcrew.com/

Scott Somershoe
Littleton CO
Co-Author of *Birds of Tennessee: A New Annotated Checklist
<http://www.amazon.com/Birds-Tennessee-New-Annotated-Checklist/dp/1507815751/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1453317221&sr=8-3>*