Fascinating behavior. This reminded me of a scenario I watched many years ago
while working on Colorado Breeding Bird Atlas II. I was just finishing
surveying the yard and buildings of a farmstead near Yuma when I heard a
cacophony of calls from a large elm. When I looked for the source of the
commotion, I saw a fledging Common Grackle hanging upside down dangling from a
piece of twine below one of the branches. Other grackles were perched at
various levels around the distressed bird and all of them were looking at the
fledgling and calling. The hanging grackle was struggling, flapping its wings
and making efforts to flip up. This scenario continued for several minutes as I
tried to figure out how I could rescue the bird which was well up in the tree.
As I was about to give up on the rescue, the distressed bird made a final
flutter and broke free.

Chuck Hundertmark
Lafayette, CO