Thank you Donna for the report. This kind of information is really great to
hear about. Knowing the shift in species numbers as well as individual
numbers is very good to know. Congrats on your lifer.

The difference in the change from the south side of the lake to the north
side might be meteorologically driven. It can depend on the wind direction,
but not always. The habitat can also play an important role.

Thanks
Bryan

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 11:19 AM Donna Stumpp <donna.stu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have to share how dramatic the change in bird numbers and number of
> species present was this morning at Standley Lake's Loon Lake (on the
> northeast end of the Standley Lake Open Space in Jeffco). Loon Lake has had
> species counts under 10 for many weeks. This morning I had 17, including a
> juvenile Cedar Waxwing! I bird this pond several times a week and have
> never seen one here before. Also, the sheer number of birds was about 8-10x
> higher than it's been in a long time and there was a tremendous amount of
> singing and activity. It was so fun!
>
> I finally dragged myself away and moved on to the north shore, where I
> found a Tennessee Warbler - lifer! Not quite the dramatic increase in birds
> on the norht shore as at Loon Lake, but still a good variety. Location
> details and photos of the TEWA are in the eBird checklist
> <https://ebird.org/checklist/S74129278>
>
> Thank you so much for sharing these weather events with CO Birds.
>
> Donna Stumpp
> Westminster, Jeffco
>

> --

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/990ecc8d-51ee-4213-a1c0-22a4be276e9eo%40googlegroups.com