Hi Bryan – I expect the three White-crowned sparrows that have been enjoying
the free lunch here near Storm Mountain in Larimer County since Oct 1st to be
gone by Monday! I think the juncos will remain, though. :)  - Dave Hyde,
Larimer Cty.

From: Bryan Guarente<mailto:bryan.guare...@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2020 1:32 PM
To: Cobirds<mailto:cobirds@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [cobirds] Not all cold fronts are created equally...

COBirders,
There is a cold front coming through tomorrow.  I think if you were to ask
COBirders whether a cold front meant good birds in Fall or not, I think most
would say yes, especially if the front comes with precipitation.  Go birding in
bad weather!

On the East slope, tomorrow's cold front won't be wet nor cold, just cooler
with some cloud cover.  On the West slope, it will be a different story in
terms of precipitation.  Definitely expecting precipitation.  Hopefully this
will help with some of the wildfire situations.

So today, I am going to try something different.  Here is the forecast graphic
for tomorrow after the frontal passage (map is from 3pm local time).  If you
were at my CFO presentation the other day, you would know some of the things to
look for in terms of good weather for migrants.  Does this look like it will be
a good day to get long-distance migrants from Canada?  Should we expect
dispersing migrants affected by Hurricane Delta?  Should we be thinking about
tropical species coming up from Mexico and the southwest US?  Where do you see
the flow pattern coming from that would dictate the birds we might expect?

https://earth.nullschool.net/#2020/10/11/2100Z/wind/isobaric/850hPa/orthographic=-105.11,40.20,1064/loc=-105,40

The green circle on that map is around Boulder, CO.  Anyone want to play along
and give your weather forecast for migrants based on this map?  Are you
expecting turnover of birds?  Are you expecting most birds to stay put, but add
other species to the mix with the frontal passage?  Is this going to be the
pattern that drives even more corvids out onto the Plains?
Harder challenge: anyone want to venture a guess about what birds to expect
based on the flow pattern?

All of the previous questions will be answered by the weather and the birds
tomorrow into Monday, but I will wrap up some thoughts later this evening based
on what folks have stated to me privately (paraphrased or summarized only) and
publicly, plus some of my own words to help move the conversation along.

Thanks for playing along,
Bryan

Bryan Guarente
Meteorologist/Instructional Designer
UCAR/The COMET Program
Boulder, CO
cobirds+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<mailto:cobirds+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAENnWHsL2wG%3DyEP2yaKA9cro%2B0mXDWfDyJxkSSyc7u0HGH0oWg%40mail.gmail.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAENnWHsL2wG%3DyEP2yaKA9cro%2B0mXDWfDyJxkSSyc7u0HGH0oWg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.