I almost responded to this issue yesterday when Gregg brought it up, and I will
now.

Sub-freezing temperatures are rarely an issue for birds unless they are
extreme, take away the availability of free water or coincide with conditions
that got a bird's feathers wet.  When feathers are dry the literature says they
can result in as much as an 80-degree difference in air temp compared to that
under the feathers next to the skin.  In other words, it could be -20 outside
and 60 right next to the skin.  That data comes from the famous ecologist Ernst
Mayer's work in Maine with thermistors and a golden-crowned kinglet.  Cute
little birds get counted every year on the Nome, Alaska CBC.  Ducks move on not
because the water is cold but because the surface freezes and takes away their
ability to tip or dive and obtain food.

As Brian said, the biggest issue with birds and the onset of significantly
colder weather is generally decreased food availability (and the issue of
liquid water).  A lot of the birds we get excited about seeing in early winter
are neotropical migrants that for whatever reason are still passing thru or
even lingering.  These late insectivores still rely on insects, especially
insect types with chemistry that suppresses their freezing temperature (usually
involving glycols) and insect cadavers.  Also, most neotropical migrants also
have dietary flexibility that allows exploiting fruits. and when all else
fails, can lower their standards and engage in desperate measures like
scavenging and stealing.   Midges, such as what the Bay-breasted Warbler at the
Fountain sewage plant must be getting, or aphids and scales (Tennessee,
Black-throated Green, Pine, Northern Parula and Black-throated Blue lately
along the middle Front Range) make up the bulk of what cold weather
insectivores can still find and rely on.  But we also have species of
grasshoppers that overwinter as adults, and even certain moths and butterflies,
flies, ichneumonid wasps, leafhoppers, etc. can be active in temps as low as 45
degrees.  Then there are always back-up foods like the contents of galls,
cocoons, spider webs and egg sacs, feeders with suet, etc.    Birds are simply
amazing in coping, of course, within the limits all life forms have.

It was this time of year in 2013 when we had 10 species of warblers on the
Colorado RBA.  One of them was a Northern Parula in Boulder that along with the
famous Bay-breasted and some yellow-rumps was sustaining itself on aphids from
one particular Austrian Pine.  I took pics of it on 16November2013 but believe
it made it into early December.  Apparently none of us entered this individual
into eBird if Gregg says there are no records from the Denver to FC area for
early December.  That brings up another misconception, that being the notion
eBird is a complete record of all that is known.  Far from it, but I'll leave
it at that.

Anybody checking the Denver West Office Park?  Interlocken?  28th e of Baseline
in Boulder?  Bow Mar apartment complex in Littleton? Longmont neighborhood e of
Hover s of Nelson?  No doubt many other aphid-scale-midge "food courts" like
the one Joey just found near Chatfield exist out there.

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins