I’ve been monitoring the gull communal roost at Carter lake  (west of Berthoud)
this past week. Numbers and composition vary nightly. Each night there are
different birds. This evening a very dark brown gull best fit the description
of a first cycle Western Gull. Perhaps this is the bird Ted Floyd reported
several weeks ago.

Viewing the gull flock at Carter Lake is not easy. The flock is very distant
and frequently moves around. Lighting conditions are often poor. Access to the
lake requires a county parks pass. During the day, the gulls disperse to
unknown destinations. In recent days, roughly a third of the flock reassembles
each morning on the ice at Lake Loveland. Another group visits nearby Dry Creek
Reservoir to harass diving ducks. So those would be other places to look for
this candidate Western Gull. For now I entered it into eBird as Larus sp.,
together with a written description.

Nick Komar
Fort Collins CO