Lots of good questions Bob, as well as a good suggestion regarding
standardized counts.  In fact, your idea was recently realized.  The
non-profit Wild Utah Project has just expanded their citizen science Black
Rosy-Finch feeder counts to other interior west states, including Colorado
and are now including all rosy-finch species in their counts.

This is the only standardized rosy-finch count that I am aware of and I
would strongly encourage anyone who regularly feeds rosy-finches to
participate in this well-organized project.  This winter's count is only
halfway through and they are still very interested in having more homes
sign up.  You can find all the information you need to participate,
including a training video, on their website:

https://wildutahproject.org/rosy-finch

There is quite a bit of rosy-finch research happening in Colorado at the
moment. As you mentioned, Scott Rashid has banded quite a number of
rosy-finches.  Other ongoing research efforts here in Colorado include:

Breeding surveys and population estimates (Amy Seglund at Colorado Parks
and Wildlife)

Various studies on winter movements, site fidelity, over-winter survival
(UC Santa Cruz, CPW, Regalis Environmental, Bird Conservancy of the
Rockies, USFWS)

Population genetics (UC Boulder, Denver Museum of Nature and Science, CSU)

The above groups are also contributing feather samples to insanely cool
Bird Genoscape Project (Kristen Ruegg at CSU and too many partners to list)
which has a superb new short video out describing their efforts and
objectives:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p43ksRgIlk

Apologies to any rosy-finch researchers that I've forgotten to mention, I'm
sure there's at least one.

Greg Levandoski
Longmont, CO