I don’t think any of the three merlins photographed in this thread qualify as
Black (Pacific) Merlin.  Sibley depicts Bblack Merlin as having more black than
white on underparts from chest to vent and an almost completely black helmet. I
think these are female Taiga merlins on the dark end of the spectrum.

Nick Komar
Fort Collins