The sparse migrant land birds that I have encountered so far have mostly been
welcome dribs and drabs, except now for increasing numbers of Yellow-rumped
Warblers, (hallelujah for those gems at least!), swallows, and some increased
variety. But today at Littleton Cemetery I encountered my first veritable
migrant flock, as about 50 Chipping Sparrows arose out of the grass along a
road edge. The cemetery’s singing breeding population of Chippers arrived by
April 30 (tardy), with about 8-10 birds now on territory in the cemetery, but
the larger numbers come a bit later as migrants moving north pass through. I
love how these little sparrows can just appear ahead of me on my route, as if
emerging from the ground  - they blend in so well with the shady grassy margin
and spruce needles. And then just as fast they disappear into the foliage of
the spruce crowns, such that had I not seen them flush I might have missed them
altogether.

David Suddjian
Ken Caryl Valley
Littleton, CO