Enjoying our first visit to Colorado in 18 months, it's been nice to get back
to birding in the Estes Park area.
I was birding later in the afternon today, May 21, in the Matthews-Reeser
Sanctuary at Lake Estes.  It was slow for a while, then, as often happens, a
flurry of activity at the place where there is a break in the rail fence to
allow access to the golf course.  I suddenly realized I was seeing two Magnolia
Warblers, a male and a female moving around, both in the area behind the fence
east of the cut-through and then across the paved trail into the area I think
is referred to locally as "pine point."  I remember seeing a couple of
sightings reported a few days ago on the eBird rare bird alert, and another
birder told me yesterday, when I was also birding at this location, that they
had been seen yesterday morning.  I tried checking eBird for the most recent
sightings just now, but it is balky.
In any event, given their rarity, these may be continuing birds from the
earlier reports.  Since at least one was still around about 4:15 as I walked
back to my car, and this does not appear to be a good night for migrating, I
think one or both may be around tomorrow as well.
Other highlights of our visit over the last two days including an amazing
fallout of Yellow-rumped Warblers at Lily Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park
this morning, literally dozens of birds in view a the same time as we walked
around the lake, seeing the nesting Osprey pair at Lake Estes with the male
aggressively attacking a Turkey Vulture yesterday, a tom Turkey standing on
Bear Lake Raoad in RMNP last evening displaying to two hens feeding on the
other side of the road, ignoring the stopping cars, and Great Horned Owls with
nestlings in the same tree on the west side of Estes Park where I last saw them
two years ago (pre-pandemic).  While birding this afternoon at Lake Estes, I
met a visiting birder from Paraguay who was seeing many species for the first
time.  Always fun to share that experience as I got to show him some local
birds and help him with names.
Looking forward to more great birds in the coming days
Jim NelsonBethesda, Maryland