Greetings CObirders,

Southeast El Paso county, as many know, is short-grass prairieland mixed
with grazing/free-range cattle, occasional plowed/planted fields, &
scattered farm & ranch houses & trailers. I scouted the route last Mon 6/21
& did my official count Tues 6/22, and it was easily the greenest I've seen
it in nine years with this breeding bird survey. How nice to have no dust
whatsoever kicked up with passing cars/trucks (or by mine).

This count virtually matched the high counts of the past decade for both
#species (28) and #total individuals (499). (Counts of total individuals
there boomed back between 1999 and 2007, though #species in those years
averaged slightly below that of the past 10 years).

For 6/22's survey I had above-average #s for the past decade for Mourning
Dove, Mountain Plover (with double the previous high counts in '09 and
'13), Say's Phoebe (double the previous high in '09), and Lark Bunting
(most since '07). Cassin's Sparrow and Western Meadowlark #s were roughly
average.

On 6/22 I had below-average #s for the past decade for Horned Lark (down
about 40%), Barn Swallow, and Grasshopper Sparrow (2 on scout-trip, 1 on
count day compared to 6 avg. for count day, but its numbers had been
climbing since 2015 up to 10 for the last several years, prior to which the
avg. since 1988 was low-to-zero like this year's).

Before this weekend I'll be doing my other BBS up in the San Juans
southeast of South Fork, so I'll be curious to see if the counts there are
similarly low as other BBS participants have reported lately for high
elevation routes.

Good birding!

Marty Wolf
NW CO Springs