Hello birders,

This is a late post due to my schedule but over the weekend of 8/28 - 8/29,
five of us were out on each day birding John Martin Reservoir and
surrounding area thanks to the Colorado Field Ornithologists initiating
field trips as part of their ongoing shorebird theme. The mission here
ended in outstanding success.

On Saturday, we started scoping on the cliffs at 38.0746409, -103.0133372
at around 7 am, which overlooks a large portion of the mudflat-turned
northwest shore and even features a sizeable puddle directly below the
cliffs where many of the shorebirds would cycle through. Highlights from
this vantage point included:
Black Tern - 6
Black-necked Stilt - 2
American Avocet - 240+
Semipalmated Plover - 2
Piping Plover - 1
Killdeer - 18
Marbled Godwit - 9
RED KNOT - 1
Stilt Sandpiper - 45
Sanderling - 6
Baird's Sandpiper - 1700+
Least Sandpiper - 13
BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER - 1
Pectoral Sandpiper - 35
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 2
Western Sandpiper - 13
SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER - 2
Wilson's Phalarope - 1300+
Red-necked Phalarope - 15
Spotted Sandpiper - 1
Solitary Sandpiper - 1
Greater Yellowlegs - 3
Lesser Yellowlegs - 800+

After this we headed toward the west side of the reservoir, stopping at the
wooded area (cottonwoods and tamarisks) at 38.086403,-103.009328 where we
found a Great Horned Owl, a Barn Owl, 2 BELL'S VIREOS (rare in Bent), a
Dickcissel, several Willow Flycatchers, and some other passerine migrants.

Below the dam at Lake Hasty we found a total of 56 Black Terns and an
oversummering Ring-necked Duck. In the campground we located a BALTIMORE
ORIOLE, a BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER, a Virginia's Warbler, an Olive-sided
Flycatcher, 3 Yellow-billed Cuckoos and some other passerine migrants.

Our two eBird lists from the day can be found below:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S93860957
https://ebird.org/checklist/S93859084

On day 2, Sunday, the initial plan was to bird other reservoirs in
southeastern Colorado but the nearly once-in-a-lifetime situation at John
Martin Reservoir provided that we bird the same area again. We followed
almost exactly the same route but spent more time checking eastern parts of
John Martin Reservoir that we hadn't checked the day before. This produced
Forster's Terns and a single Least Tern in its winter form, species we
didn't see the day before. For shorebirds, we had:
American Avocet - 250+
Snowy Plover - 1
Semipalmated Plover - 6
Piping Plover - 2
Killdeer - 22
Upland Sandpiper - 1 (flyover)
Marbled Godwit - 14
RED KNOT - 1
Stilt Sandpiper - 200+
Sanderling - 7
Baird's Sandpiper - 1700+
Least Sandpiper - 19
Pectoral Sandpiper - 35
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 2
Western Sandpiper - 20
SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER - 2
Wilson's Phalarope - 1000+
Red-necked Phalarope - 15
Solitary Sandpiper - 1
Willet - 5
Lesser Yellowlegs - 1100+

eBird checklists: https://ebird.org/checklist/S93936483
https://ebird.org/checklist/S93923552
https://ebird.org/checklist/S93923488

As you can see, despite a powerful cold front that moved through most of
the state the night of Saturday-Sunday, many of the shorebirds we had on
Saturday continued on Sunday, including the Red Knot and Short-billed
Dowitchers. The front seemed to have pushed many migrating passerines on
without replacing them however, as we had almost none in places we had many
the day before.

On both days we witnessed incredible shorebird diversity and numbers, with
species such as Red-necked Phalaropes, Wilson's Phalaropes, Lesser
Yellowlegs, Baird's Sandpipers, and occasionally others feeding almost
directly below our feet from the cliffs at the aforementioned position, and
displays of synchronous flocks being scattered through the air as the three
present Peregrine Falcons would test their hand (or talon) at sandpiper
breakfast. Our shorebird diversity consisted of 22 species on Saturday and
22 species on Sunday, making a grand total of 25 species over both days. We
had 30 total species in the order Charadriiformes, including Least Tern,
Black Tern, Forster's Tern, Ring-billed Gull and California Gull.

- David Tonnessen, Joan and Tim Grant, Cinnamon Bergamon, Helen Butts, and
Edward Landi

David Tonnessen
Boulder, CO