Folks, I am seeing a bunch of birders at the north end of Boyd Lake who
drove into the subdivision on the NE side, parked, and walked down to the
water. But unless someone got special permission from the landowners, I
think we should NOT view the Garganey this way.

Luke Pheneger drove into the state park and walked north along the path,
and has good looks at the Garganey right now. It requires walking maybe a
mile, but it's going to be the best option in terms of ethics and landowner
relations -- again, unless someone negotiated an access agreement I don't
know about.

The bird is also visible from the shoulder of the county road, looking east
at the north end of the lake, but this is best for a quick scan and not
prolonged looks, because the two-lane highway is busy and the shoulder is
muddy.

Nathan Pieplow
Boulder