To Cobirds Group:

Found:
*Black Throated Sparrow* - at Mesa Reservoir, Boulder Valley Ranch, Sunday
morning.  Distinct markings, jet black triangular throat patch, with white
stripes under the cheeks and over the eyes.  Could be nothing else than.
 This little guy was bouncing furtively from skunkbush and yucca plants.  I
lost him in the shrubbery after about 3 minutes.  To find location:
 Boulder Valley Ranch, hike to Mesa Res. and go to the north side where the
little covered seating area is.  Search along this side of the Res., but do
not go near the Res. as this a prohibitive wildlife area.  Also - watch out
for rattlesnakes.
Also seen in and near Mesa Reservoir:
American pipit - 1
White faced ibis - 8
Yellow headed blackbirds - 8
Blue winged teal - 6
Pied billed grebe - 1
Killdeeer - 4
Tree swallow - 20
Barn swallow - 12
Violet green swallow - 6
American coot - 16
Bullock's oriole - 1 male, singing
Western kingbirds - 2
Lark sparrow - 4
Colorado chorus frogs - trilling

Found:
*Eastern phoebe *- not so rare anymore in Boulder County, but a bit
uncommon.   Goose Creek hiking-biking path.   As best I can describe to get
there:  from 30th st. and Mapleton, walk westward.  Go past the pond.
Proceed west under 28th street.  The trail breaks north and west - you
continue west.  A few yards further you will see a bridge with green chain
link fencing going over Goose Creek.  Go over the bridge, but no further,
as there are NO Trespassing signs on the other side.   The phoebe was
singing and vigorously attacking a robin, a bluejay, and an empid species.
My guess is this a nesting area under the bridge.

And:
Bear Creek, from Bear Creek Drive up Bear Creek to the stone bridge
crossing near the Mesa Trail:
Yellow warbler - 1
Spotted towhees - lots, all males
Orange crowned warbler - 1 - check the blooming wild plum thickets
House wrens - 12
Lazuli bunting - 1
Black headed grosbeak - 2 males, singing
Western tanager - 1 - singing
(Note:  no trails were closed due to the recent fire;  damage to creek and
surrounding area looks minimal)

And:
Bullsnake
Western terrestrial garter snake