Hi

In Colorado, birds breeding in our forests, start to move south when the
breeding season concludes. It has always been assumed that the young fledging
hangs around the nest site and then slowly shuffle their way south. But
recently it’s been discovered that the young actually leave the forest as fast
as they can and head for the safety of the dense thickets that are along the
edges of the forests, along roadsides, in clear cuts and any other places where
the thickets occur. Thickets are where all the actions is; protection from
raptors which can’t squeeze their way through the tangled thicket branches,
insects are plentiful and the berries are juicy. So what should we conclude
from this information. Maybe instead of wasting time endlessly time peering
through tall leafy trees, it maybe more productive in stead focusing on the
thickets?

This information was adapted from Scott Weidensaul’s 2021, A World on the Wing…

Bob Righter
Denver, CO